Analysis of the large dataset delivered by the LHC in Run 2 continues with more than 25 new results from the CMS collaboration presented at the 2018 Rencontres de Moriond conference. Most of these results will be published shortly and will add to the growing total of Run 2 CMS publications (currently over 160 Run 2 papers have been submitted).
Highlights include a set of combined measurements of the production and decay rates of the Higgs boson, as well its couplings to vector bosons and fermions, a first observation of the rare decay Z → ψ l+l− , and several searches for rare Higgs decays, supersymmetry and other exotic particles. A search for heavy resonances in the di-electron final state with the large data sample collected in 2017 is also presented.
The Higgs measurements use the 2016 data sample for a comprehensive analysis of the production processes gluon fusion, vector boson fusion, and associated production with a W or Z boson or a pair of top quarks, and of the H→ZZ, WW, γγ, ττ, bb and μμ decay modes. Dedicated searches for invisible Higgs boson decays are also considered. The combined signal yield relative to the standard model prediction has been measured to be 1.17 ± 0.10. A significant improvement in the precision of the gluon fusion production rate of around ∼30% has been achieved compared to the previous ATLAS and CMS combined measurement with Run1 data. Results for the standard model Higgs boson decaying via the bb channel and produced in association with a top quark-antiquark pair decaying into the all-jet and leptonic final states are also presented.
The first observation of the Z boson decay to a vector meson and two oppositely charged same-flavor leptons with a statistical significance of 5.7σ is presented. Using 35.9 fb-1 of data 13.0 ± 3.9 events of the decay Z → ψ μ+μ− and 11.2 ± 3.4 events of the decay Z → ψe+e− have been observed.
A measurement of jet substructure observables in top quark events and a study of the properties of the underlying event in top quark events is also presented.
CMS has also released more than 15 direct searches for new physics using the full 2016 dataset. These exotic searches provide new stringent limits on exotic decays of the Higgs boson, dark matter scenarios, hypothetical particles such as leptoquarks, new heavy gauge bosons, long-lived particles and several supersymmetry scenarios.
Finally, CMS also presents a search for high mass resonances in the di-electron final state using the 41 fb-1 of data collected during 2017. This is the first result from the analysis of the 2017 dataset and in combination with the analysis of the 2016 data sets stringent limits on the masses of Z’ particles that arise in many new physics scenarios. This CMS result is indicative of the high quality of the data collected in 2017 and more results using this dataset are expected to come out later this year.
List of new results for Moriond 2018:
- HIG-17-031: Combined measurements of the Higgs boson's couplings at √s= 13 TeV
- HIG-16-042: Measurements of properties of the Higgs boson decaying to a W boson pair in pp collisions at √s=13 TeV
- HIG-17-007: Search for the standard model Higgs boson in the dilepton plus photon channel in collisions at √s=13TeV
- HIG-17-023: Search for invisible decays of the Higgs boson produced through vector boson fusion at √s=13 TeV
- HIG-17-026: Search for ttH production in the H-to-bb decay channel with leptonic tt decays in proton-proton collisions at sqrt(s) = 13 TeV with the CMS detector
- HIG-17-024: Search for the exotic decay of the Higgs boson to a pair of light pseudoscalars in the final state with two b quarks and two τ leptons
- HIG-17-029: Search for the exotic decay of the Higgs boson to a pair of light pseudoscalars in the final state of two muons and two τ leptons at √s=13 TeV
- HIG-17-018: Evidence for associated production of a Higgs boson with a top quark pair in final states with electrons, muons, and hadronically decaying Ï„ leptons at sqrt(s)= 13 TeV, submitted to JHEP
- HIG-17-022:: Search for ttbarH production in the all-jet final state in proton-proton collisions at sqrt(s)= 13 TeV
- BPH-15-001: Measurement of angular observables in the decay B to K mu m from proton-proton collisions at sqrt[s]=8TeV
- BPH-16-001: Observation of the decay Z→ψ ℓ+ℓ− Z→ψ ℓ+ℓ− pp collisions at √s =13TeV
- EXO-17-003: Search for pair production of second generation leptoquarks at sqrt(s)=13 TeV
- EXO-17-014: Search for dark matter in association with a tt¯ pair at √s=13 TeV in the dilepton channel with 2016 data
- EXO-18-006: Search for high mass resonances in dielectron final state
- EXO-16-055: Search for dark matter produced in association with a Higgs boson decaying to γγ or τ+τ−at √s=13 TeV with the CMS detector
- EXO-17-022: A search for light pair-produced resonances decaying into at least four quarks
- EXO-17-028: Search for heavy Majorana neutrinos in the same-sign dilepton channel in proton-proton collisions at sqrt(s) = 13 TeV
- EXO-17-029: Search for singly produced third-generation leptoquarks decaying to a τ lepton and a b quark in proton-proton collisions at √s=13 TeV
- EXO-16-047: Submitted to JHEP
- EXO-16-033: To be submitted to JHEP
- EXO-16-046: To be submitted to EPJC
- SUS-18-001: Constraints on models of scalar and vector leptoquarks decaying to a quark and a neutrino at √s =13 TeV
- SUS-17-005: Search for top squarks decaying via four-body or chargino-mediated modes in the single-lepton final state at √s =13 TeV
- B2G-17-011: Search for vector-like T or B quark pairs in leptonic final states in 36 fb−1of proton-proton collisions at √s = 13 TeV
- B2G-17-004: Coming soon
- TOP-17-013: Measurement of jet substructure observables in tt¯ events from pp collisions at √s=13 TeV